CWI Keeping Close Eye on England Tour Amidst Coronavirus

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) — Cricket West Indies (CWI) says it will continue to liaise with its counterparts, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), over the upcoming Test tour as the coronavirus pandemic continues to disrupt the United Kingdom’s sporting calendar.

- Advertisement -

West Indies are scheduled to tour England for Tests at the Oval and Lord’s in London and Edgbaston in Birmingham, all three fixtures scheduled during the month of June when the UK Government expects the coronavirus outbreak to be at its peak.

The virus, known as COVID-19, has resulted in 1,140 UK infections and 21 deaths, and has already forced the suspension of major fixtures like the English Premier League and the London Marathon.

Further, the ECB last week recalled its side from the tour of Sri Lanka where they were scheduled to play two Tests later this month.

And though the ECB has made no formal statement on the Windies tour, CWI Chief Executive Johnny Grave said the regional governing body would continue to monitor developments regarding the virus.

“It is [still on] at the moment but it’s a dynamic situation that is changing quite literally by the hour so at the moment there’s been no announcement by the ECB about postponing any of their upcoming events,” Grave told CMC Sports.

Palooza 728x90

“Albeit, the ICC [International Cricket Council] have cancelled the World Cup qualifiers which were due to take place in Malaysia and a number of the county clubs have cancelled their preseason tours.”

He added: “At the moment it seems like they [ECB] are taking a sort of four-week period where some events have been postponed or cancelled until mid-April.

“Our players are due to travel at the end of April so at the moment…it’s being closely monitored but at the moment we’ve had no reason to believe the England tour will be cancelled.”

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

West Indies are scheduled to undergo a camp in England before playing tour matches against England Lions and Worcestershire at the end of May.

They face England in the opening Test at Lord’s starting June 4, open the second Test at Edgbaston on June 12 before wrapping up the series at Lord’s in the final Test bowling off June 25.

The ECB last week conceded its summer schedule was being threatened by the outbreak but said it would continue to plan for all eventualities.

“It is difficult for us to be sure of what outcomes the game might be expected to deal with,” said ECB Chief Executive Tom Harrison.

“Therefore, we will continue to plan for a season that proceeds as normal, but in parallel prepare for a range of different scenarios. These could include the possibility of playing matches behind closed doors, or potentially postponing or cancelling elements of the season.”

Globally, cricket has already suffered disruption, with the lucrative Indian Premier League delaying its start from March 29 until April 15 as a “precautionary measure”, India scrapping their ongoing One-Day International [ODI] tour of South Africa and Australia and New Zealand also calling off their limited-overs series Down Under.

CWI also announced bold measures on Saturday to combat the spread of the coronavirus in the Caribbean, suspending all its domestic fixtures for a minimum of 30 days, including the final two rounds of the first-class championship.

The region, which has confirmed nearly 40 COVID-19 cases, could face further disruption with West Indies Women hosting South Africa in five ODIs from May 30 to June 10, and West Indies A taking on South Africa A in a series from June 10 to July 9.

West Indies men also host New Zealand in a limited-overs series from July 8-19 and South Africa in a Test and T20 International series from July 15 to August 16.

More Stories

Champions return to familiar territory for Matrix Sporting Clay battle

The stage is set for another fierce showdown at the Knolford Ranch in Bog Walk, St. Catherine, where defending champions Chad Ziadie and Aliana...
West Indies

Rayudu crowns Narine IPL’s greatest after another match-winning masterclass

Two hundred matches into a remarkable Indian Premier League career, Sunil Narine is still producing performances that leave former players searching for new superlatives. The...
bermuda government house

Bermuda moves toward sweeping electoral reform this September

The Government of Bermuda has confirmed a major step forward in its electoral reform agenda, announcing that an Electoral Reform Working Group is now...
Hantavirus

Westmoreland health officials step up surveillance amid regional hantavirus concerns

Health authorities in Westmoreland have intensified surveillance measures in response to regional concerns about hantavirus, even though no confirmed cases have been detected in...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua and Barbuda moves to make Spanish official second language

Antigua and Barbuda is set to make Spanish its official second language under a new government policy aimed at expanding multilingual education and strengthening...
Four Jamaicans arrested in Alabama for alleged involvement in lottery scam

Bahamas deport 107 Haitians in latest immigration enforcement operation

The Bahamas Department of Immigration says it has deported 107 Haitian nationals as part of ongoing enforcement operations aimed at ensuring compliance with immigration...

UN warns Cuba’s healthcare system under severe strain amid power outages and shortages

Hospitals across Cuba are suspending surgeries, struggling to keep critical equipment running, and facing severe medicine shortages as prolonged blackouts and fuel constraints deepen...
Bahamas PM

Bahamas PM Philip Davis unveils expanded 28-member Cabinet following election victory

The Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis has unveiled one of the largest executive administrations in Bahamian history, swearing in a 28-member Cabinet and ministerial...
HPV vaccine now available to Guyanese women up to age 45

PAHO secures agreement to reserve pandemic influenza vaccines for Latin America and Caribbean

The Pan American Health Organization has signed what it described as a landmark agreement with CSL Seqirus to reserve a portion of pandemic influenza...

Jamaica to host CTO Air Connectivity Summit in 2027 amid push for stronger regional airlift

Jamaica will host the second annual Caribbean Tourism Organization Air Connectivity Summit in Kingston on Feb. 23, 2027, as regional tourism leaders intensify efforts...

Latest Articles