More than a dozen charges laid against three in SSL fraud probe

More than a dozen criminal charges have now been filed against three individuals taken into custody over the weekend in connection with the alleged multibillion-dollar fraud at the collapsed investment firm Stocks and Securities Limited (SSL), according to attorneys and law-enforcement sources.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

Those charged are SSL founding director Hugh Croskery, his daughter Sarah Meany, and former SSL chief executive officer Zachary Harding. All three face multiple counts, including fraudulently inducing persons to invest; failure to register a company carrying on business in Jamaica; carrying on a securities business without a dealer’s licence; failure to apply to the Financial Services Commission to be registered for securities issued; and breaches of the Banking Services Act. The charges arise under the Securities Act, the Bank of Jamaica Act, the Banking Services Act and the Larceny Act.

Croskery was granted bail in the sum of $1 million and is scheduled to make his first court appearance on January 26, his attorney, King’s Counsel Peter Champagnie, confirmed. Croskery has also been ordered to surrender his travel documents as part of the bail conditions. Attorney-at-law Samoi Campbell is also representing him.

Sources said Meany and Harding were similarly granted bail, though the specific terms of their release were not disclosed.

Champagnie said his client has consistently denied wrongdoing and has cooperated with investigators throughout the probe. He cautioned against rushing to judgment as the case moves through the courts.

“Allow the process to be ventilated in court so that there is a proper evaluation of the situation in a judicious way,” Champagnie told The Gleaner on Sunday. “We should not be given to all kinds of wild speculation and emotions. Allow the justice system to take its course.”

Palooza 728x90

Background: Raids and arrests

The charges follow a major coordinated law-enforcement operation that unfolded early Saturday, with search-and-seizure raids carried out at four locations linked to the long-running SSL investigation — three in St Andrew and one in St James.

The operation involved a joint task force comprising the Financial Investigations Division (FID), the Constabulary Financial Unit (CFU), and the Counter-Terrorism and Organised Crime Investigation Branch (C-TOC) of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, with support from the Major Organised Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency (MOCA).

Authorities confirmed shortly after 5 a.m. that the searches were active and urged the public to avoid the operational areas to allow the exercise to proceed safely.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

During the operation, Croskery was seen leaving a St Andrew residence on Wickham Avenue with police officers, carrying a bag containing documents as investigators searched the property. He was later escorted into a police vehicle and taken away for questioning. At the time, both police officials and his attorney declined to comment.

Croskery has previously denied involvement in the alleged fraud. Following the emergence of the scandal in January 2023, he resigned as a director of SSL and its parent company, SSL Growth Barbados, saying the move was intended to demonstrate cooperation with ongoing investigations by the Financial Services Commission.

Scope of the alleged fraud

To date, the only person previously charged in the SSL matter was former employee Jean-Ann Panton, who faced multiple offences in February 2023. Later that year, the FID submitted a case file to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, signalling the likelihood of further charges, though the DPP indicated that outstanding issues had delayed a full assessment.

Panton is set to stand trial on May 4, 2026. She was charged with breaches of the Larceny Act, the Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA), the Forgery Act and, the Cyber Crimes Act.

Investigators have said more than 200 client accounts were affected by the alleged fraud, with losses estimated to exceed US$30 million. Among the affected clients is Welljen Limited, a company owned by Jamaican sprint icon Usain Bolt, whose case brought international attention to the collapse of the firm.

In August of this year, Caydion Campbell, the court-confirmed trustee of SSL, said Bolt’s company was among roughly 40 clients set to receive payouts from the SSL Victims’ Compensation Fund.

At the time, Welljen’s attorney, Linton Gordon, welcomed the disbursement but emphasized it remains only a partial recovery. “Payments being made are just a fraction of what persons have lost, and it’s just the start,” he said, declining to disclose the specific amount Welljen will receive.

 

More Stories

Guyana, UN formalize cooperation on biodiversity under Global Biodiversity Alliance

The Government of Guyana and the United Nations have signed a Declaration of Intent aimed at strengthening cooperation on biodiversity conservation, climate resilience and...
imf

Trinidad growth stuck at 0.8% as IMF flags fiscal strain and energy reliance

The International Monetary Fund says Trinidad and Tobago is expected to record modest economic growth of about 0.8 percent in 2026, supported by new...
Haiti children vulnerable to violence, poverty and displacement. (Photo: UN News - the United Nations)

UN warns Haitian children increasingly targeted and recruited by gangs

Children in Haiti are increasingly bearing the brunt of the country’s worsening gang crisis, with armed groups recruiting minors at alarming rates while killings,...
Sex Offenders Registry.

Calls grow for Belize to implement long-delayed sex offenders registry

Calls are mounting in Belize for the government to fully implement a long-promised National Sex Offenders Registry, nearly a year after officials announced plans...
marco rubio

US government imposes new sanctions on Cuban officials, security agencies

The U.S. government on Monday announced a new round of sanctions targeting senior Cuban officials and key state security agencies, accusing the island’s communist...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...
48th CARICOM Heads Conference to Tackle Current Geopolitical Challenges

CARICOM urges protection of Strait of Hormuz transit passage amid Middle East tensions

CARICOM has expressed growing concern over escalating hostilities in the Middle East, warning that military activity affecting the Strait of Hormuz could have serious...

Jamaican computer science student earns prestigious AI internship in Japan

A final-year Computer Science student at University of Technology, Jamaica is being recognized internationally after securing a coveted spot in a competitive artificial intelligence...

GraceKennedy Foundation annual lecture to spotlight Kingston Harbour cleanup progress

The GraceKennedy Foundation will focus on the ongoing restoration of Kingston Harbour during its 36th Annual Public Lecture, set for June 5 in observance...

Latest Articles