Trinidad issues detention order for woman accused of urging Venezuela to target PM’s home

A woman who allegedly posted an image of Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s private residence on social media and urged the Venezuelan government to target it has been ordered detained, the Trinidad Guardian reported Friday.

- Advertisement -

According to the publication, the detention order—signed on November 12 and gazetted on Thursday—directs authorities to take the woman into custody for her online comments. The order states that she “made and published public posts and/or comments on social media addressed to the Venezuelan Government in an attempt to influence public opinion in a manner likely to be prejudicial to public safety.”

The document further alleges that the posts “invited violence on the Prime Minister, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and members of the public by Venezuela and/or external persons,” amounting to what it described as an imminent threat to public safety.

The situation unfolds amid heightened tensions between Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela. The Maduro administration has accused the twin-island nation of assisting the United States in efforts to effect regime change in Caracas under the cover of anti-drug operations. Persad-Bissessar has rejected the allegation, stating that her government supports Washington’s efforts to combat illegal drug trafficking. She has previously said that those involved in the drug trade should be killed “violently.”

Venezuela’s National Assembly recently passed a motion declaring Persad-Bissessar persona non grata.

Trinidad and Tobago remains under a state of emergency (SoE) until January, and the detention order is one of four issued by Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander under the emergency powers.

Palooza 728x90

According to the Guardian, two of the other orders relate to alleged members of an Organized Crime Group (OCG), including one accused of large-scale trafficking of illegal drugs, firearms, ammunition, contraband goods, human trafficking, and fuel. The order states that the group had been planning violent reprisal attacks involving high-powered weapons.

Another detainee identified in the Gazette is said to be the leader of the “Valley Monsters,” reportedly linked to larger criminal networks and implicated in murders, armed robberies, and narcotics and firearms trafficking.

Authorities have not released the names of the detainees.

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...
48th CARICOM Heads Conference to Tackle Current Geopolitical Challenges

CARICOM urges protection of Strait of Hormuz transit passage amid Middle East tensions

CARICOM has expressed growing concern over escalating hostilities in the Middle East, warning that military activity affecting the Strait of Hormuz could have serious...

Jamaican computer science student earns prestigious AI internship in Japan

A final-year Computer Science student at University of Technology, Jamaica is being recognized internationally after securing a coveted spot in a competitive artificial intelligence...

GraceKennedy Foundation annual lecture to spotlight Kingston Harbour cleanup progress

The GraceKennedy Foundation will focus on the ongoing restoration of Kingston Harbour during its 36th Annual Public Lecture, set for June 5 in observance...
Edmund-Bartlett-Jamaica-Tourism-Restart-Recovery-Task-Force

Jamaica unveils new airline routes, $5 billion tourism investment push amid strong visitor growth

Jamaica’s tourism sector is poised for major expansion with new airline routes, billions in hotel investments, and a regional aviation summit on the horizon,...

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as...
Haiti's new PM Alix Didier Fils-Aimé names 18-member Cabinet

Haiti launches nationwide electoral security training program ahead of planned elections

Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé has launched a nationwide training program aimed at strengthening electoral security and improving conditions for credible elections across Haiti,...

Latest Articles