Bahamas senior cop Michael Johnson resigns amid probe into leaked recordings

NASSAU, Bahamas, (CMC) – Chief Superintendent Michael Johnson, the former head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) in The Bahamas, has resigned from the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) as investigations continue into audio recordings that allege corruption and misconduct.

- Advertisement -
Taste Of the Caribbean Islands-728x90

Johnson had taken leave in July following the leak of these recordings on social media. The individual who shared the recordings on Facebook also released what he claimed was evidence showing that some police officers were providing hitmen with GPS locations of men on bail, who were being electronically monitored with ankle bracelets. According to the claim, these hitmen then carried out gangland assassinations of the men.

In a statement, outgoing Police Commissioner, Clayton Fernander, confirmed that police had interviewed a former high-ranking officer and an attorney at the centre of their investigations into the leaked voice recordings in recent days.

Fernander said while both men were released pending further inquiries, his office is awaiting directions from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

He said the file relating to the “complex, multifaceted and thorough” investigation was sent to the DPP’s office on December 20 last year, and that further information as requested had been send 10 days later.

“I have referred the matters involving other officers, uncovered during this investigation, to the incoming deputy commissioner of police who has responsibility for discipline,” Fernander added.

Palooza 728x90

The investigation surrounds the voice notes that purported to capture a quid-pro-quo arrangement involving a senior police officer, a lawyer and two murdered men, Michael Fox Jr and Dino Smith. The conversation centred around a $1.5 million US airport bank car heist in November 2023.

Fox Jr and Smith, both of whom are now dead, were suspects in that matter but were never charged. Two other men, Oral Roberts, 34, and Akeil Holmes, 26, were charged in connection with the robbery. Roberts was killed in Fox Hill last year.

Asked whether Johnson had been pressured to resign based on the findings of the police investigation, Commissioner Fernander said he could not comment on what led to his decision to leave the force.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

“That’s why we continue to say that we don’t investigate in the media and the investigators took our time and that’s how we got to where we are today.

“We want to throw the net at the end of the day, not only looking at one individual but as we probe the investigation, we find that a number of other officers were implicated in the matter,” he said, adding that he hopes the DPP will provide a recommendation “in a reasonable time.”

 

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles