Security has been tightened across Paramaribo in the aftermath of a failed bomb attack on a courthouse Friday evening.
In addition, security in other places such as utility companies have been increased, additional police officers and military personnel have been deployed, and surveillance has been stepped up.
This was indicated on Saturday during an emergency press conference led by acting president Ronnie Brunswijk.
Shortly before the meeting with the media, the government held emergency consultations with key security services and authorities.
The police report that on Friday evening, two men on a moped threw RPG grenades attached to a hand grenade on to the steps of the courthouse.
One of the attackers with an automatic firearm, fired shots at the building. There were two security guards in the building at the time. No one was injured.
Defense Minister Krishnakoemarie Mathoera said everything will be done to guarantee safety and peace.
Her colleague with the Justice Ministry, Kenneth Amoksi, placed the attack in the context of the worsening of the crime situation against which harsh measures were announced earlier last week.
He noted that society will continue to be protected and the authorities will succeed in their endeavor.
The government officials condemned the attack in the strongest terms as an assault on the rule of law, the Constitution and democracy.
“We condemn this,” said Brunswijk who indicated that the judicial authorities will investigate the case thoroughly and share all information in this regard with society.
“We as a society will not tolerate this and nobody benefits from aggression. As government, we will continue to maintain peace, security and order at all times,” he said.
Amoksi called the attack a “cowardly act” and an assault against the rule of law of Suriname and against the judiciary. “This will not end with a fizzle,” he warned. He further spoke of an act of intimidation to destabilize the country but emphasized that the authorities will not be intimidated. A special investigation team has been set up, which will be led by a public prosecutor.
The explosives found at the courthouse have been disarmed under the supervision of experts. In addition to the criminal investigation, an administrative investigation is also being carried out within the Surinamese National Army, since military weapons were involved. “We will check all files,” said the defence minister.
The motive for the attack is not clear and no arrests have been made so far.
CMC/
















