CARICOM condemns storming of Congress and Supreme Court on Brazil

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) grouping has “strongly” condemned “the violent invasion of government buildings that occurred in Brazil on Sunday as it reaffirmed its commitment to the rule of law.

- Advertisement -

Brazil’s President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has vowed to punish supporters of the country’s ex-leader, Jair Bolsonaro after they stormed Congress, the Supreme Court, and surrounded the presidential palace on Sunday.

Lula said there was “no precedent in the history of our country” for the scenes in Brasilia and called the violence the “acts of vandals and fascists.”

Police regained control of the buildings in the capital on Sunday evening after hours of clashes over 300 people have been arrested.

The city’s governor, Ibaneis Rocha, has been removed from his post for 90 days by the Supreme Court.

Justice Alexandre de Moraes accused him of failing to prevent the riot and of being “painfully silent” in the face of the attack. Mr. Rocha has apologized for Sunday’s events.

Palooza 728x90

In a statement late Sunday, CARICOM described those who invaded the buildings as “a misguided mob refusing to accept the results of free and fair democratic elections.

“Those involved should be held to account. We welcome the quick restoration of order. CARICOM reaffirms its unwavering commitment to democracy and the rule of law,” the regional integration grouping said in its brief statement.

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne, who is facing a general election on January 18, also condemned the invasion saying “Mr. Bolsonaro lost the presidential election, found to be free and fair by observers from international organizations, including the Organization of American States (OAS), and the will of the electorate must be fully respected.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

“These attacks on institutions of government by groups, seeking to overturn the results are assaults on democracy, which will not be tolerated by the governments and peoples of the hemisphere.

“The government of Antigua and Barbuda stands in support of democratically-elected President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and his government, and we will make this position clear to the OAS and the United Nations in the coming days,” Prime Minister Browne added.

Lula who toured the city to see the damage for himself has ordered the closure of the center of the capital – including the main avenue where governmental buildings are – for 24 hours.

Justice Minister Flavio Dino said some 40 buses which had been used to transport protesters to the capital had been seized and he called the invasion an “absurd attempt to impose [the protesters’] will by force”.

Pro-democracy rallies are being called by leftist leaders and groups across Brazil.

Bolsonaro has repeatedly refused to accept that he lost October’s election and last week left the country instead of taking part in inaugural ceremonies, which would have seen him hand over the iconic presidential sash.

The 67-year-old – who is believed to be in Florida – condemned the attack and denied responsibility for encouraging the rioters in a post on Twitter some six hours after violence broke out.

CMC/

 

More Stories

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...
Bahamas Christian Council

Bahamas Christian Council urges PM Davis to reconsider Cabinet appointments

The Bahamas Christian Council is calling on Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis to reconsider the appointments of two Cabinet ministers over concerns about their...
Cuba

US indicts former Cuban leader Raul Castro over 1996 downing of civilian planes

The United States has unsealed a superseding indictment charging former Cuban leader Raul Castro and five alleged co-conspirators in connection with the 1996 shoot-down...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica’s economy shrinks 5.9% in first quarter as Hurricane Melissa fallout persists

Jamaica’s economy contracted by an estimated 5.9 percent during the January to March 2026 quarter as the country continued to grapple with the fallout...

New York woman’s husband charged with her murder in Jamaica

The Jamaica Constabulary Force has charged a St. James man with the murder of his wife, 35-year-old Melissa Kerry Samnath, weeks after she was...
beaches resorts turks

Beaches unveils US$150m luxury village in Turks and Caicos, announces regional expansion

Beaches Resorts has unveiled its US$150 million Treasure Beach Village in Turks and Caicos, marking what executives describe as the beginning of a new...
Island Routes

Caribbean tourism shifts toward luxury, personalized experiences, Island Routes says

Luxury and personalization are increasingly shaping the future of Caribbean tourism, according to David Shields, Vice President, Groups & Private Experiences at Island Routes....

Bahamas opposition demands probe after drug trafficking allegations linked to crash survivor

Opposition leaders in The Bahamas are calling for a formal investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida...

Latest Articles