So you want to travel…
Summer is a time to get out and enjoy yourself. Get out and see a new perspective on the world and take some time to experience a new culture. Here are ways to have fun without breaking the bank when planning for a big trip.
1. Skip the movie theater. Summer is a blockbuster movie season, but if you’re saving for vacation those first-run films may not be worth the expense. When you total up the costs for movie tickets, drinks, popcorn and candy, a date to the movies can cost up to $50. Instead, stream movies and make popcorn at home, putting that monthly movie allowance in a vacation savings fund.
2. Cut your wireless bill. Switching to a more affordable plan can save you a lot of money. Straight Talk Wireless offers consumers access to the best phones on the best networks at just $45 per month for unlimited talk, text and data with the first 5 gigabytes at high speeds (then 2G*). And for those data lovers out there, now you can double your data for only $10 more with Straight Talk Wireless’ new 10 gigabyte plan, with the first 10 gigabytes of data at high speeds (then 2G*) – all for $55. And switching is easy because you can keep your phone, network and number with Straight Talk’s Bring Your Own Phone program (BYOP). Best of all, there are no contracts, credit checks or mystery fees. Cutting your wireless bill allows you to save money for more summer fun.
3. Clean up and cash in. Did you skip spring cleaning this year? If so, dive deep into your closets, sort through garage piles and lift up those sofa cushions. Gather items you no longer need and stage a yard sale. You might even find a treasure trove of loose change lying around where you least expect it.
4. Exercise with Mother Nature. Gym memberships, fitness classes, yoga sessions and organized team sports all cost money. Going for a jog outdoors is free. Even if you go to a discount gym, suspending your membership and exercising outdoors for three months can save you big bucks. Take your workout outside – by jogging, hiking, gardening, doing yard work or just playing with the kids.
5. Automate your savings. Most banks now offer online tools that allow you to set up an automatic transfer between your checking and savings accounts. You can also setup direct deposit to automatically split your paycheck so a set amount gets distributed to your savings each month. Automating your savings means it happens without even having to think about it – so there’s less temptation to spend those funds on something else!
By taking a few steps to save this summer you’ll have more cash in-hand to enjoy every moment summer has to offer!