Criminal gang destroys police sub-station in Haiti

Members of the Kraze Baryè” gang using heavy machinery have demolished the Pernier sub-police station that had been abandoned since last Thursday when police officers protested against the killings of six police officers of the Liancourt Police Station by another criminal gang.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

Photos show the police station now a pile of rubble as the criminal gang members destroyed the building over the weekend.

Media reports said the police station was looted and partly burnt last Thursday by unidentified individuals.

The reports said the show of force by the “Kraze Baryè” gang comes as a challenge to the police and coincides with the day the National Police of Haiti (PNH) announced the launch of Operation “Tornado 1”.

Prime Minister Dr. Ariel Henry has called for the international community to participate in a specialized multinational force to help the Haitian security forces to fight against the proliferation of organized crime, the illicit trafficking of arms and ammunition, and eradicate the gangs that have held the country hostage.

Last Tuesday, at the UN Security Council, Helen La Lime, the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative in Haiti, said the country’s protracted political and humanitarian crises, marked by spiking levels of gang-related violence and a badly struggling national police force, were reversing crucial security and development strides made since the devastating 2010 earthquake.

Palooza 728x90

La Lime said more than 2,100 murders and an estimated 1,300 kidnappings were reported last year and gang violence overall reached levels not seen in decades.

She said turf wars involving two gang coalitions, namely the G9 coalition and G-Pep, reached unprecedented levels in several neighborhoods of Cité Soleil.

Meanwhile, Colombia and El Salvador have both indicated a willingness to re-open diplomatic missions in Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Haiti’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Jean Victor Geneus, held talks with his Colombian counterpart, Álvaro Leyva on the sidelines of the VII Summit of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) in Argentina, last week.

At the end of this bilateral meeting, Leyva announced that after 20 years, Colombia will reopen its consulate in Haiti. He said a consul will be appointed in Haiti in the coming days.

The vice-president of El Salvador Félix Ulloa has since announced that “El Salvador will help Haiti, by setting up a cooperation office in Port-au-Prince, with the objective of reducing high crime rates”.

CMC/

 

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...
48th CARICOM Heads Conference to Tackle Current Geopolitical Challenges

CARICOM urges protection of Strait of Hormuz transit passage amid Middle East tensions

CARICOM has expressed growing concern over escalating hostilities in the Middle East, warning that military activity affecting the Strait of Hormuz could have serious...

Jamaican computer science student earns prestigious AI internship in Japan

A final-year Computer Science student at University of Technology, Jamaica is being recognized internationally after securing a coveted spot in a competitive artificial intelligence...

GraceKennedy Foundation annual lecture to spotlight Kingston Harbour cleanup progress

The GraceKennedy Foundation will focus on the ongoing restoration of Kingston Harbour during its 36th Annual Public Lecture, set for June 5 in observance...
Edmund-Bartlett-Jamaica-Tourism-Restart-Recovery-Task-Force

Jamaica unveils new airline routes, $5 billion tourism investment push amid strong visitor growth

Jamaica’s tourism sector is poised for major expansion with new airline routes, billions in hotel investments, and a regional aviation summit on the horizon,...

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as...
Rick Fox

Rick Fox named to Bahamian Senate after election loss in Garden Hills

Former NBA player Rick Fox has been selected by the opposition Free National Movement (FNM) to serve in the Bahamian Senate following the country’s...

Latest Articles