Surinamese authorities increase security measures after attempted bomb attack

Security has been tightened across Paramaribo in the aftermath of a failed bomb attack on a courthouse Friday evening.

- Advertisement -

In addition, security in other places such as utility companies have been increased, additional police officers and military personnel have been deployed, and surveillance has been stepped up.

This was indicated on Saturday during an emergency press conference led by acting president Ronnie Brunswijk.

Shortly before the meeting with the media, the government held emergency consultations with key security services and authorities.

The police report that on Friday evening, two men on a moped threw RPG grenades attached to a hand grenade on to the steps of the courthouse. 

One of the attackers with an automatic firearm, fired shots at the building. There were two security guards in the building at the time. No one was injured.

Palooza 728x90

Defense Minister Krishnakoemarie Mathoera said everything will be done to guarantee safety and peace.

Her colleague with the Justice Ministry, Kenneth Amoksi, placed the attack in the context of the worsening of the crime situation against which harsh measures were announced earlier last week.

He noted that society will continue to be protected and the authorities will succeed in their endeavor.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

The government officials condemned the attack in the strongest terms as an assault on the rule of law, the Constitution and democracy.

“We condemn this,” said Brunswijk who indicated that the judicial authorities will investigate the case thoroughly and share all information in this regard with society.

“We as a society will not tolerate this and nobody benefits from aggression. As government, we will continue to maintain peace, security and order at all times,” he said.

Amoksi called the attack a “cowardly act” and an assault against the rule of law of Suriname and against the judiciary. “This will not end with a fizzle,” he warned. He further spoke of an act of intimidation to destabilize the country but emphasized that the authorities will not be intimidated. A special investigation team has been set up, which will be led by a public prosecutor.

The explosives found at the courthouse have been disarmed under the supervision of experts. In addition to the criminal investigation, an administrative investigation is also being carried out within the Surinamese National Army, since military weapons were involved. “We will check all files,” said the defence minister.

The motive for the attack is not clear and no arrests have been made so far.

CMC/

 

More Stories

US Immigration services move toward personal interviews to comply with new laws - Caribbean National Weekly News

USCIS policy memo tightens path to green cards, requiring most applicants abroad

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a new policy memo that could significantly reshape how foreign nationals — including many from...
hemp

Guyana advances plans to develop industrial hemp sector, identifies Regions Six and Ten for cultivation

Guyana's Minister of Agriculture Zulfikar Mustapha says the government is moving ahead with plans to establish an industrial hemp industry, with Regions Six and...

CARICOM secretary-general urges unified regional approach amid global uncertainty

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretary-General Carla Barnett is urging Caribbean foreign ministers to deepen regional coordination and strengthen the bloc’s unified international voice as the...
Bahamas PM

Bahamas government unveils tougher immigration measures in new legislative agenda

The government of The Bahamas has announced a series of stricter immigration enforcement measures, including daily fines for visa overstays, stronger penalties for immigration...
Mavis Gilmour

Jamaican government establishes Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour

The Jamaican government has established the Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour, a new national recognition that will annually celebrate the oldest Jamaican citizen. Minister of...

Jamaican fugitive wanted for murder in Saint Lucia sentenced on US firearms charge

A Jamaican man wanted for murder in Saint Lucia has been sentenced to federal prison in the United States after pleading guilty to possessing...
antigua

Antigua and Barbuda to implement enhanced airport screening amid Ebola concerns

The government of Antigua and Barbuda has announced enhanced health screening and surveillance measures for incoming travelers following growing international concern over Ebola outbreaks...

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...

Latest Articles