The Guyana Police Force (GPF) has launched an investigation into the alleged theft of $5 million from the Accounts Department of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM).
Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum confirmed to Kaieteur News that several GECOM employees are assisting the police in relation to a report of simple larceny involving the missing funds. “Several GECOM employees are assisting the police in relation to a report of simple larceny involving the sum of approximately $5 million Guyana currency, property of GECOM,” he said.
GECOM’s Public Relations Officer, Yolanda Ward, also acknowledged the matter, noting that an internal investigation is underway. “I will not speak on the issue. I can only say that there is an internal investigation, and once it is completed, we will issue a statement,” she said.
The missing cash was discovered over the weekend, prompting immediate police involvement. Public attention intensified after the newly formed We Invest in Nationhood (WIN) party alleged financial irregularities at GECOM, claiming over $50 million was unaccounted for and that several staff members had been arrested. Police, however, have confirmed only the $5 million figure at this stage.
The incident has placed GECOM under scrutiny, coming just weeks after the September 1 General and Regional Elections. Temporary staff hired for election day were scheduled to receive payments on September 17, but due to the ongoing investigation, many have yet to be paid. One temporary worker confirmed that those unable to collect their payments on the scheduled date were advised they could do so this week.
The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities are continuing to question employees in connection with the missing funds.













