UN Secretary-General condemns deadly gang attack in Haiti that killed 40

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned a brutal gang attack in Haiti’s Cabaret commune that left at least 40 people dead, including women, children, and the elderly.

- Advertisement -

The assault occurred overnight on September 11 and is the latest in a series of violent incidents that have plagued the country since last year.

In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, Guterres expressed “heartfelt condolences” to the victims’ families and urged Haitian authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice.

“The Secretary-General is alarmed by the levels of violence rocking Haiti,” Dujarric said.

“The Secretary-General is alarmed by the levels of violence rocking Haiti and urges the Haitian authorities to ensure that perpetrators of these and all other human rights abuses and violations are brought to justice. The Secretary-General calls on Member States to expedite efforts towards strengthening the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission with required logistics, personnel and funding to effectively assist the Haitian National Police in addressing gang violence in Haiti in full respect of international human rights law.”

Just two weeks ago, Guterres addressed the UN Security Council, describing Haiti as a nation in crisis. “State authority is crumbling,” he warned, as armed groups tighten their grip on Port-au-Prince and surrounding regions, forcing families to flee and disrupting daily life.

Palooza 728x90

The humanitarian situation in Haiti remains dire. Six million people are in need of aid, with 1.3 million displaced. Yet less than 10 percent of the UN’s $908 million appeal has been funded. Guterres described the response as “shamefully overlooked and woefully underfunded,” cautioning that 1.7 million people may receive no assistance at all.

The Secretary-General reiterated the need for international support, urging Member States to strengthen the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission with personnel, logistics, and funding to help the Haitian National Police address gang violence while fully respecting international human rights law.

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles