Miami-Dade County commissioners voted Tuesday to defer a decision on the proposed incinerator rebuild in Doral, citing growing concerns from environmentalists and residents.
The decision, pushed to February 19, 2025, passed with an 11-1 vote, with Commissioner Danielle Cohen Higgins dissenting and Commissioner Rene Garcia absent.
“We have been asked to take a harder look at the site selection,” Miami-Dade Chief Operations Officer Jimmy Morales told commissioners. He acknowledged mounting inquiries from environmental groups urging the county to explore alternatives to incineration.
The current plan suggests rebuilding the facility at its original Doral location, where the existing incinerator caught fire earlier this year. This proposal has faced strong opposition, particularly from Doral Mayor Christi Fraga, who advocates for sustainable, long-term waste management strategies that move beyond incineration.
Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava, the person who recommended rebuilding near the original Doral site, has faced backlash for this decision, reigniting debates among community leaders and environmental advocates.
Residents in neighboring cities, like Miramar, have also raised concerns. Miami-Dade officials had previously considered three alternate locations for the incinerator, including Airport West, a site near Miramar’s borders. The Airport West location sparked significant protests and a petition signed by over 20,000 residents opposing the project.
“This deferral leaves our community with lingering uncertainty. It is essential that we receive clarity soon to address the growing concerns of our residents,” Miramar Mayor Wayne Messam said.
“Continued delays heighten anxiety about potential health and environmental impacts. We respectfully urge the Miami-Dade County Commission to act swiftly and decisively to protect public health and preserve the environment. Miramar remains committed to ensuring that no facility near our borders compromises the well-being of our community or threatens the Everglades and our drinking water supply.”
Commissioners Raquel Regalado and Juan Carlos Bermudez, who spearheaded the deferral request, emphasized the need for a special meeting in January to discuss comprehensive waste management options, including recycling, composting, and waste-to-energy solutions.
“This deferral gives us time to have the critical discussions we’ve been waiting for,” said Bermudez, a former mayor of Doral.
Commissioner Oliver Gilbert voiced frustration with the repeated delays, urging for decisive action. “We need to make a decision. I don’t know what we’ll accomplish in three months that hasn’t been addressed in 13,” he said.
As discussions unfold, residents are encouraged to participate in the January meeting, which will explore a broader waste management strategy before a final vote in February 2025.
For more information, residents can register for updates at StopTheIncinerator.Eventbrite.com or visit the City of Miramar’s website at miramarfl.gov/noburn.

















